Tooth-Colored Fillings – Colchester, VT
Treat Cavities Seamlessly and Safely
Tooth decay is an incredibly common problem. In fact, the American Dental Association estimates that 91% of Americans over the age of 20 have had a cavity at some point in their lives, and more than 1 in 4 people have untreated cavities. In the past, they only way to repair a tooth that had been damaged by decay was with a metal (amalgam) filling. However, not only do these leave a shiny metal blob in your pearly whites, but they can damage your teeth over time as well. That’s why at Liscio Dental, we choose to treat cavities seamlessly and safely with tooth-colored fillings. Read on to learn how this simple restoration can help your smile look and feel its best for years to come.
What Are Tooth-Colored Fillings Made of?
Tooth-colored fillings use composite resin to replace decayed tooth structure. This material is made of ultra-fine particles of dental ceramic, porcelain, and glass, and it can be custom-made to match the color of the surrounding enamel. Composite resin adheres very well to enamel, which makes it an excellent choice for sealing out bacteria and very easy to put in place.
What Are the Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings?
Tooth-colored fillings are popular among patients and dentists alike for a variety of reasons, including:
- Lifelike appearance: The natural-looking appearance of composite resin allows it to become nearly indistinguishable from the rest of your smile.
- Preservation of natural tooth structure: Composite resin is pliable and bonds well to enamel, which means little to no healthy tooth structure needs to be removed to place these fillings.
- Stable and safe material: Unlike metal fillings, tooth-colored fillings won’t expand or contract when exposed to hot or cold temperatures, making them a safer choice for the long-term wellbeing of your tooth.
- Minimizing dental sensitivity: While metal fillings commonly cause tooth sensitivity, tooth-colored fillings form a tight seal to effectively seal out bacteria and sensitivity.
- Bio-compatible option for sensitive smiles: Tooth-colored fillings are 100% metal- and mercury-free, making them the ideal choice for those with metal allergies or sensitivities.
How Are Tooth-Colored Fillings Placed?
In most cases, tooth-colored fillings can be placed in a single quick and easy appointment. First, your Colchester dentist Dr. John Liscio or Dr. Holly Maier will carefully remove the decayed tissues and create a custom shade of composite resin to match the natural color of your teeth. Then, we’ll use it to fill in the cleaned-out portion of your tooth and sculpt it into place. Once it looks like a natural part of your enamel, we’ll use a special curing light to harden it so it stays durable for many years to come. Finally, we’ll polish it, ensure your bite feels comfortable, and then you’ll be ready to enjoy your beautifully restored and cavity-free smile!
Remember, leaving cavities untreated can lead to serious oral health issues over time. If you have a cavity or are interested in replacing your metal fillings, be sure to give us a call today!