February 4, 2018
When was the last time you enjoyed the sweetness of an apple or easily bit down into a juicy steak? Can you remember the last time you posed for a picture without reservation about your smile? It’s been far too long since you were able to enjoy these simple pleasures of life because of your missing teeth, which is why your local dentist says that it’s time to learn about dental implants in Colchester. They are, hands down, the best option for restoring the look and function that you’ve been missing. Find out more about the process of acquiring your new implants as you continue reading.
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are surgically inserted posts that are usually made from titanium, an extremely strong material that is biocompatible with your natural bone structure. Here are the steps your dentist will take to complete the procedure:
- Digital X-Rays – Before any work is done, your dentist will capture images of your teeth and jaw bone with digital X-Rays that you can view chairside along with him. This will ensure that you have enough healthy bone for the procedure.
- Insert the Post – The first step of the process is to insert the titanium post below the gums and into your jawbone.
- Healing and Fusing – After the post is affixed to your jawbone, the next step is to allow your face to heal and the new fixture to fuse with your existing bone.
- Permanent Fixture Placement – The final stage is to return to your dentist to have a permanent crown, bridge or implant-supported denture placed.
The Advantages of Dental Implants
When it comes to restoring your natural function and smile, there is no comparison to the dental implant process. Here are some of the specific advantages:
- Improved Lifestyle – Say hello to delicious apples and tender steaks again, because you’ll once again be able to enjoy the foods that you love to eat.
- Greater Self-Esteem – You should also expect your self-esteem to go through the roof when you get your new implants and fixtures. You’ll also notice a positive difference in the way that other people react to you.
- Jawbone Support – One of the most important attributes of dental implants is that they provide a level of support for your jawbone that no other procedure can match. The process of affixing your post to the underlying bone, is the closest thing to recreating the stability of the natural root structure. This then signals to your bone mass to continue to produce new material that will help to maintain your facial structure.
- Oral Hygiene Maintenance – We all know how important oral hygiene is to your overall health, so it helps to have a procedure done that will allow you to practice it with ease. Such is the case with the dental implants. You will be able to practice oral hygiene using the same routines that you would with your normal teeth, including brushing and flossing.
So are you ready to take advantage of the best solution for your missing teeth? Or do you still have other questions? Whatever the case may be, reach out to your dentist in Colchester today, schedule a consultation and get ready to regain your old self with a new look!
About the Author
A graduate of Boston University School of Graduate Dentistry, Dr. John Liscio has studied with the pioneers of biocompatible dental materials. He has also received extensive training from the American Academy of Craniofacial Pain and the American Society for the Advancement of Anesthesia and Sedation in Dentistry. Dr. Liscio practices at Liscio Dental and can be reached for more information through his website.
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.